Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Lost that Feeling?

"de Tlalpan, Mexico City" watercolor (7" x 10")
available

Still on my Mexico City trip, virtually that is...this is the second painting for the Virtual PaintOut. This piece was a revealing experience for me as a painter. I really enjoy doing street scenes: something about capturing the daily life, the challenge of perspective, rendering different architecture, playing with colors, and yet, in the end, still trying to evoke the "feeling of the place". Well, this painting had all of the those components, except perhaps the last one...well actually hard to say if I ever really had "the feeling", as the image was taken from Google Maps....a computer took this image, so not only it wasn't me...it wasn't even a human....all this makes me wonder if it effects the outcome. For this painting, I "feel" it did.