Friday, August 27, 2010

Too Cherries!

"Little Moment #17"
watercolor (6" x 6")
Painting on Arches paper mounted on archival museum board,
UV and archival varnish coated. Display easel included.
$150 (free shipping in US)




My daughter and I love taking hikes with our dog. One of our favorites in the summer time is rambling through a river (actually now a creek) in our local foothills.  We love jumping from rock to rock, listening to the water falls, and catching frogs.  Just being one with nature.  A few days ago, I came face to face with a near death experience...nothing like a little shake up to wake you up in life, and see how truly blessed you are.  So this was my shake up: I was skipping ahead, daughter a few steps behind, then the dog behind her.  Which in its self was not norm for us...usually its the dog rambling ahead, then my daughter, then me bringing up the rear....but for whatever reason the order was off for us on this day. In mid skip, I came face to face with a HUGE blue Southern Pacific rattle snake.  This rattler was not you normal sized 24 inch snake...no this snake was at least 5 1/2 feet long and looked like it just ate a rabbit as the center of it's body was about 7 inches in diameter in multiple places.  The snake's rattle was at least 6 inches long and rattling away.  The head was perched up and staring me down. I froze, whispered a "whoa" and put my arms out to stop my daughter from rushing forward.  I slowly put my other foot down and backed up gingerly. Got the dog and quickly retreated up the river bank to safety.  At which point, we watched this HUGE snake cross the creek bed and into the shade of a huge boulder.  I was afraid that my fear may exaggerated my perspective, so I asked my daughter to describe the look and the size of the snake, what did she see?...she saw the same as I did.  This is a snake that if bit a horse ...would kill it.  That could of easily been me.  Devastatingly worse, that could of been my daughter. How beautiful is it that God has His hand on all of us...to protect us in such away, yet to give us an experience we will never forget.   This was the "cherry on the top of my day" --actually make that "Too Cherries!"