Friday, November 19, 2010

Off Course

"Cypress Lane"
watercolor (6 "x 6")
Painting on Arches paper mounted on archival museum board,
UV and archival varnish coated. Display easel included.
$150

Have you ever been walking along on, what you thought, was a straight forward path...destination in plain site? But then there is a curve in the road...and wait, it's going in the complete opposite direction of your destination?  Why? No apparent reason to avoid going straight. No visual mountain to climb. No treacherous river to cross. No farm land to trample over.  Why do we have to turn here, I cannot see why?  I want to go straight.  I see the rocks I need to avoid. I see the shrubbery I need to walk around.  I see the it very plainly, the way I "should" go....but really its the way I want to go. I believe this is how God has us in life....we may see the way to go, we may be able to clearly see the hurdles...we may even have the true destination in site...but what if God wants us just to stay on the path. It may appear like we are going off our pre-designed course, but what if it is just a more scenic route...a lovely meandering cypress lane in Tuscany. What if, by our own means, we got off course..and missed out on all that He intended.