Friday, January 7, 2011

Untouched

"Untouched"
watercolor (12" x 12")



I wanted to share what happened to me and my daughter on Wednesday morning. It was an usual morning for us...yet in a quick second became life changing.   I was driving her to school, we were chatting while she was playing a game on my phone. We proceeded through an intersection ...out of the corner of my eye I saw a large white utility lift bucket truck...I was confused because he was going so fast and was very clear it wasn't stopping...I glanced up at the light confirming I had the green...by then it was too late...he had rammed into the my side of the car, dead in the middle.  The impact was so hard that we were slammed and spun clear across the intersection and the SUV flipped over. There in the rubble of everything, as I am hanging upside down, I see my phone. I was able to call my husband and tell him what had just happened. Others on the scene called 911. My daughter and I were trapped (me hanging upside down) in the toppled and crunched overturned car for 30 to 40 minutes before the firemen could get us out. 

It is by the grace of God that we are not only alive today...but that we were unharmed in this violent accident.

I wanted to share with you, not the exploits of the accident, but that throughout this horrible experience I felt the hands of God upon us.  He was assuring me that we were okay....of which I could confidently assure our daughter that we were okay, and that as we were spinning around and flipping over, we were going to be okay. It is truly a miracle of God that we walked away unscathed, unmarred, and untouched. The only thing that touched us was the hands of God, holding us in that tumbling car. 

So when titling today's painting...many came to mind: "Grateful" and  "A New Beginning", but the one that stuck was "Untouched". Please enjoy.

P.S. On a humorous note...the first thing our daughter said while we were upside down trapped in the car "Mom, I think we are going to be late to school"