Friday, March 18, 2011

Elie-Fannies, stage 2

"Elie-Fannies", in progress
watercolor (11" x 30")
Stage 2
After sketching out "Elie-Fannies" (see step 1), I confirm that I like the composition.  At this point I am feeling there is a bit more space on the left that I am comforatble with.  However, because that can easily be cropped out at the end of the painting,  I will proceed at the intended size of 11" x 30".
I determine where in the painting my whites are going to be, and where my darkest darks are going to be placed.  If a painting is going to have several layers to it and built up a bit, I will use a masking fluid to protect the essential whites.  Masking fluid is a liquid medium, similiar to a rubber cement that is placed on the paper where you don't want paint. For this painting, I wanted to protect the whites of sunlight hitting the elephant ears. And touch on the tops of their bodies, and a bit on their tails.  I am careful to keep this organic and loose.
The first wash of watercolors was is very wet, light and loose, just to get the "lay of the land".  I really play at this stage...letting the back washes occur, splashing with alternate colors, and actually sprinkle the foreground with salt to give some added texture.

Stayed tuned....for more of "Elie-Fannies" (aka elephant butts!)