Thursday, June 28, 2012

Hahamongna Wash Evening, plein air


"Hahamongna Wash Evening, plein air"
watercolor (7" x 10")
available, click here 

The other evening it was delightful weather,
and perfect summer timing
 (meaning that there was plenty of day light to play after dinner).
 So we as a family, decided to go hiking, gallivanting, and painting.
Many of you have inquired about my plein air approach and setup...
so I thought to include a few photos.
Here I am on the trail in. That's Starr our dog, she always goes along!
I get everything I need for painting plein in my back back. 
This is important, because when you have a 11 year old daughter and a rambunctious dog....we need to find ourselves off the beaten path and preferably near water for them to play in. 
That means hiking in some distance.







The easel I use is En Plein Air Pro. I love it! 
It is so light weight and durable...
and so very easy and quick to set up.




For plein air I usually paint a 7" x 10" or a 9" x 12"...this keeps things at a do-able size, especially for watercolor (where everything dries so quick out in the elements)






I use a value/view finder to see potential compostions and the light-dark patterns.
After which, I sketch out the painting










I fill up my water bucket, which conveniently hangs in the center of my palette (see the round hole?). 
I always have a helper on hand for these kind of duties :-)
Amanda always finds something to explore!
 

Let the painting begin!

Well, that painting did not come together at all!!! So,I wont be sharing it with you.  And this happens....as an artist, I use these "failures" as opprtunities to learn and push forward.






Here are some photos of the next day at Hahamongna Wash

See what fun the family has!!